How do I register a charity or NPO ?
With effect from 29 April 2022 The Charities etc. (Guernsey and Alderney) Ordinance, 2021 became effective and is the governing legal framework for the registration of Charities and other Non Profit Organisations (NPOs) in Guernsey and Alderney.
The Register of Charities and other Non Profit Organisations (the Register) is for Guernsey and Alderney organisations operating solely for the benefit of the public or a section of the public. All charities/NPOs that carry out international activities must register. It is also compulsory for charities/NPOs to register if their annual gross assets are £100,000 or more or their annual turnover is £20,000 or more.
Charities/NPOs that are not required to register may do so voluntarily for the reputational benefits, access to discounts and to meet banking and insurance requirements.
If you are seeking to register a charity/NPO in Guernsey please ensure that you have referred to the 'Do I need to Register Flowchart' and familarised yourself with the guidance before completing the registration application form available below.
Once the application has been received by the Registry, provided that the Registrar is satisfied the application has been completed in full and registration is appropriate, the name will be placed on the Register and a certificate issued.
An application for registration of a Charity/NPO must be made using the registration application form available on this website. The application shall contain:
- The full name of the NPO,
- A contact address (within the Bailiwick of Guernsey) at which all communications from the Registrar may be served,
- A contact email address
- Full details of the purposes, objectives and objects of the organisation,
- Details of the manner in which the assets, funds and income of the organisation are to be applied or used,
- The full names of the persons who own, direct or control (" the Managing Officers") the activities of the organisation including its directors, officers and trustees, and for each of those persons -
- In the case of an individual, their name, nationality, date of birth, principal residential address and details of any criminal convictions or
- In the case of a legal person or legal arrangement, its legal name and form, jurisdiction of registration or establishment and registered office or prinicpal place of business address
- A copy of its constitutional documents