How do I register a charity or NPO ?
The Charities etc. (Guernsey and Alderney) Ordinance, 2021 is the governing legal framework for the registration of Charities and other Non Profit Organisations (NPOs) in Guernsey and Alderney.
The Register of Charities and other Non Profit Organisations (the Register) is for Guernsey and Alderney organisations operating solely for the benefit of the public or a section of the public and those that meet the 2008 legal definition of an NPO. All charities/NPOs that carry out international activities must register. It is also compulsory for domestically focused charities/NPOs to register if they are funded by the public and their annual gross assets are £100,000 or more or their annual turnover is £20,000 or more.
Charities/NPOs that are not required to register may do so voluntarily for the reputational benefits, access to discounts and to meet banking and insurance requirements.
If you are seeking to register a charity/NPO in Guernsey please ensure that you have referred to the 'Do I need to Register Flowchart' and familiarised yourself with the guidance before completing the registration application form available below.
Once the application has been received by the Registry, provided that the Registrar is satisfied the application has been completed in full and registration is appropriate, the name will be placed on the Register and a certificate issued.
An application for registration of a Charity/NPO must be made using the registration application form available on this website below, together with compliance governing documents (i.e. Memorandum and Articles of Association, Trust Deed, Constitution etc) and a completed copy of the Governing Document Checklist to demonstrate that all legally required matters have been addressed.
Please note there can be more than one governing document All international organisations with financial transactions overseas (excluding with British registered organisations) must also submit a copy of the charity/NPO financial crime policy.
Please note :
- The contact address (within the Bailiwick of Guernsey) will be used for all communications from the Registrar,
- A contact email address is required
- Full details of the purposes, objectives and objects of the organisation need to be factual, suitable for the life of the organisation, clear, concise and approved by all managing officers,
- Details of the manner in which the assets, funds and income of the organisation are to be applied or used will help the Registrar to determine the registration status
- The full names of the persons who are responsible for the running or control (" the Managing Officers") of the activities of the organisation including its directors, officers and trustees, and for each of those persons -
- In the case of an individual, their name, nationality, date of birth, principal residential address and details of any criminal convictions or
- In the case of a legal person or legal arrangement, its legal name and form, jurisdiction of registration or establishment and registered office or principal place of business address